2011-06-13

Some background information

During my very first school years in the late sixties, in a small village in the middle of Sweden I started to attend a recorder (flute) course. But very early I decided to drop out since I thought it was very boring and the progress was so slow. As I remember it were we three boys who dropped at the same time, and as far as I know only one of the others later learned to play an instrument (guitar).
In the mid seventies I borrowed a guitar from a neighbour and some "Learn how to play" book from the library. But I gave up after only a few frustrated tries.

In 1979, at the age of 16 I was one day asked to sing in a band, though I hardly knew any of the members and had never been singing before. I was not a very good singer but still I became a member of the band and we had some minor success, in my home village at least. The music style was a mix of reggae, ska and punk. I played the bass on one of the songs, a cover of "Identity" by X-Ray Specs.  Click here to see how very simple that was ;-) (But note that I do not understand anything about the chords/tabs written on that page myself).

A year later or so The Stray Cats became popular and inspired by them we started a new band. This time it was punkabilly style. I became the drummer and I bought a snare + a bass drum. It was a short lived band and we never played live.I don't remember the details, but soon after we again formed a new band and I upgraded to a full, but low quality drum set. At the end of 1981 I replaced that with a better set. But I never had any drum lessons, and I rarely practised by myself, only together with the band. So I was naturally not a very good drummer.
With this last band we had some gigs in my home town and nearby. We also recorded about ten songs in a studio, but we never released them on record or tape.I'm not sure what the style would be categorized under, but perhaps it would have been 'new wave reggae'. :-)
As I remember it we had our last gig in 1983. It was a really bad gig and it ended with that someone pulled the plug for us :-) I never played the drums after that and I sold them some years later.

During those years, or later I never learned to read sheet music or even the VERY basic things about tones, notes,chords or whatever it is all called;-)

A side note: I am since 11 years back living in Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment